I was working on a new Drupal 8 site and had a new geolocation view setup to show locations on a Google map. Everything was working well, then I decided I wanted to add a new field to the node and include that field in the view. After adding the field to the view, I decided against using it and deleted the field from the node (before removing it from the view). This, in turn, deleted the entire view, which cost me a days worth of work! I had not exported my configuration prior to adding this field, so I had no way of getting my view back without restoring my database from Time Machine.
So, word of warning, don't delete fields without first removing them from the views they are included in.