Skip to main content

Drupal 8

Documenting my findings about Drupal 8 here.

Drupal Forms using ajax breaking dependency injection

Recently, I was building a custom Drupal form that used dependency injection and included an ajax submit handler. While testing the form, on the initial page load, the form submitted just fine using ajax. However, when the user used another ajax handler on the same form, all of the injected services were set to `NULL`.

New Year, New Freight Shipping module for Drupal Commerce

Over the New Year's holiday I had some time to work on a new custom module for Drupal 8 and Drupal Commerce 2. Introducing the R&L Carriers, LTL Freight shipping module:

The new module integrates with RL Carriers online B2B tools and provides real time freight quotes based on your products weight.

Forcing all menu links to use absolute links in Drupal 8

In a recent project, we were using an external service that pulls our site into their system and injects their content into our project. The issue we ran into was that the third party was overwriting all links in the template we provided with their HTTP host, causing the menu system from our Drupal site to break. To get around this we needed to generate absolute links for all of our menus.

In order to accomplish this we used template_preprocess() to dynamically provide our site's hostname as a variable:

Custom validation of multiple, dependent entity fields in Drupal 8

Drupal 8 custom validation of multiple entity fields

In a recent Drupal 8.6 project, I was using the media entity type to add custom fields to pdf documents. These pdf files contain two fields: a select list and a text field. When a specific select option is chosen, the text field becomes required. I could have used a form alter function to add my custom validation for these fields, but this would limit my validation to just one form. This wouldn't work for entities that were created with JSON API or other methods.

Drupal 8: Change the user registration form to a multi-step form.

I was tasked with breaking the user registration form of a Drupal 8 installation into a multi-step form. This was necessary because depending on what a user selected in step one, they were shown different form fields in step two.

To begin, I added all of the fields I needed to the user profile using the GUI. (/admin/config/people/accounts/fields). Then, I added the fields I needed to the manage form display/register tab (/admin/config/people/accounts/form-display/register).

Rebuilding a TMGMT Job File

Today I had the need to regenerate an HTML file that was generated via the Translation Management Tool (TMGMT). Essentially, the HTML file that I needed to export was escaping all of the HTML tags. After fixing this, I needed to re-export the HTML file. TMGMT doesn't give you the option for this, for good reason, but since we hadn't imported anything yet, it was safe for us to do this.